Tuesday, November 11, 2008

D'oh!!

I just erased the post I was working on when i went to copy it so that I could paste it again if I accidentally erased it. woops.Yesterday, we visited Acworth leprosy clinic: http://www.theacworthleprosymuseum.org/main.htmIt was an incredible experience to meet these individuals with the understanding that historically they have faced more hardships and persecution than any other disease related group. I must admit and with shame that the first thought to cross my mind after shaking their deformed hands was,'where is the hand sanitizer?' I knew full well that they are cured and no longer contagious and that leprosy is the least contagious bacterium among infectious diseases. But I suppose with what we are unfamiliar with we still may act irrationally. Less than a decade ago there were nearly 500 people living in the Acworth community, but because of education and treatment these numbers have diminished to ~100. There will come a time when it is no longer needed and leprosy will have have all but been eradicated, but it is there hope that the museum will still serve as a reminder of this millenia old disease of great social importance and those that fought to aid the afflicted.Natalie and I are going to explore southern mumbai this weekend. It is suppose to be the more historical and posh side town. We continue to eat well and apply our smog facials every day. I will write more this weekend, but I 'm going to head home now and see if our luggage has finally come. Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: